Saturday, January 14, 2012

Anna And The French Kiss Review

Anna and the French KissAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

From Goodreads.

Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Etienne St. Clair: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home.

As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near - misses end with the French kiss Anna - and readers - have long awaited?


My Review:

Amazing book, just AMAZING!

Seventeen year old Anna Oliphant is sent to attend The Boarding School of America in Paris by her writer of cheesy-stories-with-someone-dying-in-the-end father for a “good learning experience” and “keepsake she’d treasure forever.” To Anna this feels a lot more about her father than herself. She will be living alone in a city she barely knows much about, without her family or friends. To me its sounds real scary. I wouldn’t be able to live in a foreign place without at least my parents or friends. But Anna made it through and got a lot more than she could have imagined.

Throughout this book Anna went through changes, discovering what home really meant to her, who and what she really was and the importance of others in her life. Plus, is betrayed by her best friend who slept with her ‘almost boyfriend’ back in Atlanta, Georgia. But then Anna also finds her gorgeous French-named-American-with-English-accent-and-beautiful-hair love in Paris, so I guess the heartbreak was worth it. She sees the various wonders of Paris and gets to know the stories behind them, explores the several perks as well as disadvantages of being in a boarding school in Paris a.k.a being WITHOUT parental supervision. She gets drunk for the first time and finds a whole new level to express and enjoy her love for movies and criticism, seeing how Paris was the film appreciation capital of the world. And she also had her first sleepover…with a guy. Seriously, our PLAIN.OLD.SLEEPOVER. With a guy.

Just like I said in the beginning, the book was amazing. From the first word to the last the book had me in its clutches and only did it let go when I was done with the last word on the last page. I laughed and cried along with Anna and experienced everything she did in the book with Stephanie Perkins sweet and simple writing technique. Seriously, the way the book was written, in a simple and sweet manner did nothing but add more good points to the book and the author. Anna’s character was simple yet complex and I loved everything about her. There was not a moment when I was reading the book that made me regret reading it even a tinsy bit. All the characters were well rounded, with a particular history and special places in the book. And just like every time in books like these, the little old me yet again fell in love with the male protagonist of the book. In this story his name is Etienne St. Clair (For me, his name itself is irresistible).

Anna and the French Kiss is a unique book with a special place in my done-reading-books rack and this book totally deserves all of the five stars or maybe even more. Stephanie Perkin’s writing had made me left wanting to read more of her novels which I am sure I will do in future. Till then I will have my mind full of Anna and her French kiss. And of course of Etienne too. Hope Anna doesn’t mind.

P.S. I loved the book cover too; it is so sweet and again, simple. Just the way I like it.


View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite books! I hope you read and love Lola. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! I have finished reading Lola and The Boy Next Door and found it absalutely amazing- just like Anna and The French Kiss!!

    ReplyDelete