Saturday, September 3, 2011

Crush Control review


Crush ControlCrush Control by Jennifer Jabaley

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


From Goodreads.

Willow has spent most of her life as her mother's sidekick in a popular Las Vegas hypnotism show. So when she and her mom move back to their sleepy southern hometown to start over, she thinks she's in for a life of quiet normalcy. Except that her new life turns out to be anything but, when she kinda sorta hypnotizes Quinton, the hottest guy on the football team, to fall madly, deeply, head over heels in love with her. But what started out as an innocent way to make her best friend, Max, jealous soon gets way out of hand, and Willow begins to wonder if the mind - and more importantly, the heart - is something you can really control.
My Review: 
 
Crush Control was a sweet, funny, dream-like and totally lovable book.

Seventeen years old Willow Grey returns to her hometown Georgia, Worthington, after living in Vegas for nine years with her beautiful mother. There her mother’s work included hypnotizing people and was known as the “Hip Hypnotist”. So naturally, after being with it for nine years Willow knew how to do it too. When she returned to Georgia, she also returned to her best friend Max, who she had fallen in love with during one of their long distance phone calls.

On her first day back home, she meets a gorgeous boy Quinton, thanks to her crazy dog, Oompa’s equally crazy act. That part was so funny, my sides still hurt from all the laughing. Then after she finally meets Max, she feels all round sparks flying. Until she finds out that Max has a girlfriend, Minnie. Then all she feels are the tears running down her cheeks. There she meets her crazy new friend Georgia, who helps her through all the heartbroken mess and the new school system.

When the news about her knowing how to hypnotize people got out, she was invited to a party by none other than the gorgeous Quinton, who later was found out to be the star football player. Who can decline an invitation like that? So Willow goes and on the request from others, also performs a show of hypnotizing people (also I must add, totally against her mother’s rule). Soon she finds herself being asked by the queen bee of the school for help over her fears and then lovely boy Quinton joins the line later on. That is when she gets a crazy idea which would make Max jealous and realize his feeling for her (according to Willow). From there things just spiral out of control.

One of the best books, ever. I LOVED IT! It was such a beautiful story with all the right amount seriousness, romance, funny parts and confusion. Especially the funny parts. As I mentioned earlier that all the Oompa scenes were so hilarious, my sides still hurt from laughing. Even now, as I think about it I just feel like cracking up and howling with laughter. Crazy, crazy dog. Just read the part where Oompa meets Quinton and you will know what I am talking about.

Willow’s character was good, but the best I liked was Georgia. She was cool, supporting and funny. I think that in between the book just stretched on little more than necessary but that flaw was quickly overshadowed by everything else, (good) in the book. I never once thought that maybe I am wasting my time reading this book. It didn’t even give me a chance to form those words in my head. The story was beautifully crafted and well written.

The ending of the book was really sweet. Crush Control is totally worth all the five stars, which is what I’ve rated this book with. I kind of wish that there was a whole series of this book because I want this story to go on further and for its character's to stay with me a little longer. But on the other hand I think that it is better that it is a single book otherwise it would have lost its charm and the satisfaction it gave to the reader (me) that –Ah! Now they are going to have a happily ever after without any more complications. Yay!

All in all, one of the best books I have ever read. I am going to try out Jennifer Jabaley's debut novel Lipstick Apologies to find out whether it is as good as Crush Control. I really hope it is.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment