Sunday, August 21, 2011

Evermore Review

The Immortals: EvermoreThe Immortals: Evermore by Alyson Noel

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Seventeen-year-old Ever is the sole survivor of a car crash that killed her entire family. Living with her aunt in Southern California, she's plagued by the ability to hear the thoughts of those around her, and haunted by the ghost of her little sister. She tries to tune everyone out, shunning her old lifestyle as the pretty, popular cheerleader, but somehow she can't hide from Damen, the new guy at school. Stunningly handsome, clever and not a little bit intimidating, there's something about him that doesn't quite add up. Ever realises he's hiding something, but nothing could prepare her for the truth - especially when the truth involves past lives, murderous enemies, everlasting love and the secret of eternal youth . . .

My Review:

Evermore is a story based upon a sixteen year old Ever Bloom who was the sole survivor of a car accident that killed her whole family. Ever since the accident, Ever started seeing people's aura, hearing their thoughts and getting to know their whole life story with just a touch. After the accident, her aunt Sabine took her in, giving her all the luxuries a girl her age would want, but Ever was too lost in her own grief to pay attention to them. Seeing her younger sister's ghost didn't help out either.

Then comes along the tall, dark and handsome prince who whisks away our princess in the ever bright moonlight of forever. The handsome prince in Evermore is Damen Auguste who seemed to have lived in every part of the world and is very mysterious. While the whole school is drooling over him, his attention is fixed on our princess Ever. She just wants to hide under her hoodie but can't seem to stay away from him because of the pleasure of silence he brings along with him for her. Whenever Damen is around Ever, everything is normal for Ever, no hearing of thoughts, no seeing auras, just the sound Damen’s voice and the feel of his touch. Of course his too good looks also play a part in keeping Ever's attention on him ( and others' too).

Although other readers will read the book and like it too, I am pretty sure that Twilight fans will love it. The book just has the Twilight feel to it ,though, it lacks the unique charm of Twilight. The ways of Damen kept me on edge and were mostly the only reason that made me keep on turning pages. The Damen character was written in such a way that I was not sure whether to trust and like Damen or not until the second half of the book when everything finally started getting revealed and started making sense. I also liked Riley. Her character was strong and funny, yet sensitive. At the beginning I felt so sad about how her story turned out and she died before she even had the chance to be a teenager but then when I found out that there is going to be spin off series based on her, I felt better.

Ever's character on the other hand (for me) was kind of hard to understand. I mean I get it that loosing the whole family is a big blow and being the only survivor in this tragedy doesn't lessen the impact. But still she had survived, hasn't she? And shouldn't she make the best out of the opportunity that she had been given? I don’t mean that she should completely forget about her family and continue living the life she used to live before the accident happened. Of course there will be some changes after all that she had been through, but she shouldn't completely isolate herself from the world with only just two friends to keep her company. Plus she's got the whole extraordinary abilities that she refuses to...recognize completely...kind of. For me Ever's character was a bit glum, dark and not as intriguing as a protagonist's should be.

Even though the book was good and I liked reading it, I didn't completely enjoyed it. There were very less exciting parts in the book and only a few keep-the-reader-on-the-edge moments and that were mostly of Damen. The female antagonist, Drina was also not that exciting and her motives for hating Ever were kind of...weird. And well it's difficult to understand what fun and satisfaction would there really be in killing the one person again and again in every lifetime and still not getting what you kill for. Most of the situations, actions and moments lacked the...adrenaline rush and the specific edge that makes everything more intriguing. That mostly and the not so exciting character of Ever are the main reasons for my 3 star rating.

I've got a rule...kind of. That whichever series I start, I have to read all the installments in it and finish the whole series. Up till now, this rule hasn't disappointed me because every series I have read and finished were great. So with respect to this rule I am going to continue the Immortal series and see how it turns out. I really hope that the second installment, Blue Moon in the Immortals series turn out better than the first installment. But I am getting a feeling that I won’t be starting Blue Moon any time soon.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment